Monday 5 March 2012

The meeting point

I was given the prompt "Write a short story or poem about two old men sitting on a park bench. Why are they there, and what are they talking about?"
And here is the result.

There was a scratching at the door and that could mean only one thing, time to take Ralph out for his afternoon walk. I sometimes wondered if that dog of mine was connected to the atomic clock. "Fine," I shouted at him, "Let's get your stuff and head out." Like he understood, he started getting more agitated and running about even faster. Ralph wasn't the only one I thought ran off the atomic clock, as I reached the park I noticed that Archie was already there, as usual, waiting for his old friend Tommy. "Ah, there you're there Tommy. Wondered what was keeping you." "Oh shut it you. I'm getting old, takes me a while to get things done doesn't it" "Aye that's true. I used to be able to get down to the pub, have a swift half and then the rest of the half and back in time for countdown. I missed the first round yesterday, only 'cause I had to go pee. Damn bladder of mine. Mind you I still got the conundrum" "You? You wouldn't even know what a conundrum is. I was always the better one at English in school." "School? Now that's going back some time ain't it?" Archie suddenly looks solemn, "Just how long have we known each other now then?" "God, asking the difficult questions today ain't you? Well I think you moved in down the street from me when we were what? Seven?" "So what? Seventy two years I've had to look at your face?" "Hey this face has kept you going throughout the years. I'm the one that pushed you down the aisle with Eileen, most amazing woman I've ever met, apart from my own Maggie that is. I'm the one that put you right when you had your operation, hell I was running about after you something stupid. I still say that you milked that for more than it's worth." "Don't give me it I was near death with that one and I still thank you to this day for looking after me. I'm just thankful that Eileen wasn't here to see it, I don't know what she would have done. She was a strong woman but I don't think she was that strong. Anyway I've been there for you plenty of times as well, I mean what about that turn you took when you're Maggie died? You had no one over here, so who was it that forced you back out into the world? Me!" "Aye, ok. Truce, we've been there for each other throughout the years. What's your point?" "Well, I'm not sure what I would do if you were to go that's all." "Oh God you're getting soppy on me now ain't you. Is it not time for you to head over to the pub?" "Yeh, I guess you're right. You not coming over with me then?" "No, I think I'll just sit here for a bit lot longer, take in the park sights for a change" "Alright, see you later Tommy," Archie turned and gave his old friend a wave goodbye as he started away. Well that would be Ralph was happy for another few hours, he would be scratching at the door later on tonight though. And there was Archie heading off for his swift half. It had been hard on the old lad ever since Tommy died last month, but I think he's starting to get over it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment